Then he brought out his favourite button up top and asked if I could fix it. It is a nice shirt, its made from Italian cotton but it's old.
It wasn't good.
The seam from the arm to the collar was ripped. There were holes all along the back seam. The fabric was disintegrating.
I thought about it, I could put some thing like a lining under it but then it wouldn't be as soft and I think that it would be a bit out of my skill level.
I put on a sympathetic face and told him "there is nothing more I could do"
I used a piece of it to make him a little sewing kit. He can leave it in the glove box of his car and hopefully it will come in handy one day.
It comes with needles, pins, safety pins, buttons, and a bobbin of white thread.
I was going to wrap some different coloured threads around a small piece of cardboard but then I saw the bobbin.
One little part of the bobbin is bent so I cant use it in my sewing machine and it is already full of cotton so I have donated it to the sewing kit.
The buttons are loosely sewn on so they can be pulled of if they ever need to be used.